Thursday, March 20, 2008

The Kids Are Alright



I went to Urban Outfitters today during my lunch break and while I was able to refrain from buying anything - she is a tawny gypsy temptress - I did have the pleasure of running into this kid who looks suspiciously like the lead singer of Black Kids. My internal reaction to this guy is precisely why it pains me a little bit every time I see photos of this band. In my head I'm screaming, Get a grip buddy... YOUR PANTS ARE TOO TIGHT! You look uncomfortable which, more importantly, MAKES ME UNCOMFORTABLE!

We're not talking appropriately tight pants a la Iggy Pop either... we're talking this dude's muffin top runneth over.

When will hipster scum learn? Alas, never, which is probably why I am continually drawn to them. They're like retarded little puppies who you know are going to live abbreviated lifespans and who you know you'll have to buy special kibble for, but you put up with it just because they're so GD cute.

Case in point:



Black Kids' new video for I'm Not Gonna Teach Your Boyfriend How To Dance With You is the Diet Vanilla Cherry Dr. Pepper of music videos in that it, quite literally, tastes like everything and nothing all at the same time. Don't get me wrong, I'm still cashing in my tickets to see Black Kids when they open for Cut Copy - although I am more excited about Cut Copy since I've been kicking myself ever since I missed them last time around with Bright Like Neon Love - but I wish I knew a way to be less distracted by their appearance.

Hopefully their conspicuous absence from Austin this year is a good indicator that the Kids are bucking trends and refraining from the giant circle-jerk that is SXSW. Too often I'm disappointed by the supposedly watershed acts coming out of there and this year looks to be no different. That's all a long way of saying: New video. Watch.

1 comment:

lkbom said...

Everything and nothing at all seems like a good descriptor for that mess. OMG- I like totally love that girl's shaggy bangs and jumper combo... or not.