Tuesday, April 15, 2008

A Good Old Fashioned Heist



This past weekend Leah and I went to see Flawless which I've been strangely dying to see ever since I first saw the trailer for it months ago. It's been available on my On Demand since the beginning of the new year because it's a Magnolia picture and they have that jacked distribution schedule which allows for simultaneous releases on multiple formats... Talk. About. A buzz kill.

Anyways, my prediction for this movie was that it was going to be pretty awful by "normal people" standards, but I was going to love it regardless since I have a tendency to do that with Demi Moore movies (even my 82 year-old grandmother was won over by Striptease though she did only see the TBS version). WELL, I'm happy to report that I did love Flawless for all the reasons I thought I would: visually, it's one of the most satisfying films of the last couple of years what with all the period sets and fantastic fucking costume design; heist movies (much like sex and pizza) even when bad, are still pretty good; and London is, well, London.

What surprised me most about the film was how it actually turned into a little bit of a feminist / socio-political manifesto. It was like the fucking Feminine Mystique meets Blood Diamond divided by Rififi. I was only disappointed by some old-age makes-up and a really unfortunate montage that came about towards the end. I was like, come on people... if Titanic taught us anything it's that you can't pull that shit off no way, no how.



Most of the reviews I've read about this movie complain that it's slow, overly-long, blah, blah, blah, but I say suck it up oh ye of short attention spans. That's precisely the point... heist / suspense movies of the era invoked here are long and drawn out for a reason. Go rent Charade and then call me when you wake up during the end credits.

It's worth noting also that Leah and I got into a fight before the movie even started over whether it took place in the late fifties or the early sixties based on the costume design cuz that's just the sort of thing we do. You see, ever since my sister came out to visit last year and we all took in an exhibit of Christian Dior's The New Look, I now think I'm an expert in the area of fashion history. You'll be glad to know, however, that Leah and I both won - sort of - since Flawless takes place in 1960.

1 comment:

lkbom said...

Um, I LOVE how you've decided that it's a tie now, even though I was completely in the right. NineteenSIXTY.

I KNOW the New Look, and that is NO New Look, thankyouverymuch. Pencil skirts and all.

'Nuff said.