Saturday, April 12, 2008

I took a speed reading course and read 'War and Peace' in twenty minutes. It involves Russia.


Read a book, read a book, read a mutha-fuckin' book.

I wanted to put a really awesome picture I found of Julianne Moore in all her naked glory at the top here, but that would probably get this site marked as "adult" and it's really not at all relevant to this post.

All is dreary here in Chicago, but it's been a good day none the less. This morning Brian and I took in brunch at Orange and I remembered yet again how much I love that place. Fruishi, while sounding incredibly unappetizing and gimmicky, is to die for. He said he wished he had a camera so he could food blog the experience of eating fruit paired with sticky rice - he was being facetious - but I was really fucking glad that I was somewhere where no one was taking pictures of their plate.

I realize the necessity of people who do that sort of thing for a living to make their websites graphical and engaging, but after witnessing firsthand the wrath of a restaurant owner who didn't want pictures of their food being taken - and reading this article in the Chicago Reader - I tend to side with the no pictures policy. It's one thing if you're having a birthday party and you're at the sort of place where party pics are encouraged over a plate of hot wings, but it's a major boner-killer to be on a date or something and see the dipshit next to you adjusting his aperture so he can get the perfect shot of his soy-miso-vegan-paprikash.

Afterwards I got my Chicago Public Library card for the first time after having lived here for close to three years. The library didn't have the book I wanted, but the trip wasn't a complete bust since I found this awesome "Read" poster on display of David Bowie jumping in the air while reading Dostoevsky's The Idiot. That particular novel has been the bane of my existence for the last month but I'm not giving up on it since I'm on page 600 of a 700 page tome. It WILL happen. Maybe I just need to call Nichole up and have her get me that particular poster for inspiration. If David can finish it while doing a grande jete, the least I can do is finish it while laying on my bed.

No comments: