Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Joan Is My Copilot



With each episode that airs of Mad Men in its, as of yet, lackluster second season, I realize more and more that Christina Hendricks is the only reason to continue watching. Pete Campbell makes me want to gouge my eyes out, Don Draper is continuing his one note brooding with no signs of letting up, and Betty Draper's meltdown/arc is taking too long. Sure she'll be living on a commune in Fresno come 1968, but that's like, at least four seasons away.

No, Joan manages to deliver each and every episode whether it be by screwing the head of the company she works for, deflecting the advances of her lesbian roommate, or concealing the fact that she is gasp... in her thirties! That last incident prompted her to deliver one of the most, for me, poignant lines from the current season which, paraphrasing, goes: [People in the office] are going to take you down Peggy. They want you to be just as miserable as they are.

Oh Joan, you had me at fuck you.

No comments: