Sunday, October 12, 2008

Maybe I'm Corn Mazed



Above, you will find a picture of what I did this weekend. It's the Richardson Corn Maze in Spring Grove, Illinois near the Illinois/Wisconsin border. It is, allegedly, the largest corn maze in the world which I'm inclined to believe since no one people but Americans would spend that much GD time figuring out how to carve donkeys and elephants out of dead agriculture.

I remember when I was a kid, the whole phenomenon of the "crop circle" was really huge and it seemed like those things were popping up everywhere. That or my ten year-old mind was much more inclined to be fascinated by the concept of aliens coming down to earth just so they could mow down some corn stalks. Now I realize that it was just a bunch of bored farmers with some time on their hands post-harvest.

We spent just under two hours wandering around the various mazes (my favorite was the elephant), and we also spent just under three hours driving to and from Spring Grove. Needless to say it was the most midwesterny thing I've done in my three years in Illinois, but I won't be returning next year. Although, driving through farmland and freaking each other out with stories about serial killers was, in a word, righteous.

No comments: