Friday, January 16, 2009

Goodbye Indie


Photo: Robert Gauthier

It is a sad, sad day. Planes are falling out of the sky, Andrew Wyeth is dead, and so is Indie 103.1. Indie was by far my favorite radio station in LA and was one of the few things that kept me sane back in the day when I was schlepping film around for Pacific Title. I'd be stuck in traffic on the 101 trying to get back to Hollywood from a run to Warner Bros. or Universal or whatever godforsaken production company I'd been sent to in the north valley, and my mood would instantly be elevated when I'd hear (gulp) relevant, new music coming out of my van's stereo. I still remember the exact moment I first heard Indie; there had been this awful techo station that was broadcasting on the same frequency for about a year in 2002/3? and one day Indie just snuck in there and took over. First I fell in love with the music, then I fell in love with Steve Jones. Whether he was dry-humping the microphone while interviewing the Suicide Girls or complaining about how loud his neighbors were (really, Steve "Sex Pistol" Jones?), he was always this lovable frumpy, but exceedingly hip old man that you just wanted to hug.
 
For those who'd like a good cry, full text below:

This is an important message for the Indie 103.1 Radio Audience -

Indie 103.1 will cease broadcasting over this frequency effective immediately. Because of changes in the radio industry and the way radio audiences are measured, stations in this market are being forced to play too much Britney, Puffy and alternative music that is neither new nor cutting edge. Due to these challenges, Indie 103.1 was recently faced with only one option — to play the corporate radio game.

We have decided not to play that game any longer. Rather than changing the sound, spirit, and soul of what has made Indie 103.1 great Indie 103.1 will bid farewell to the terrestrial airwaves and take an alternative course.

This could only be done on the Internet, a place where rules do not apply and where new music thrives; be it grunge, punk, or alternative - simply put, only the best music.

For those of you with a computer at home or at work, log on to www.indie1031.com and listen to the new Indie 103.1 - which is really the old Indie 103.1, not the version of Indie 103.1 we are removing from the broadcast airwaves.

We thank our listeners and advertisers for their support of the greatest radio station ever conceived, and look forward to continuing to deliver the famed Indie 103.1 music and spirit over the Internet to passionate music listeners around the world.

The greatest loss really is Joney's Jukebox. Sure all of this is going to continue to be available online, but last time I checked, internet radio was no where near as relevant as good ol' fashioned AM/FM. Not to get all antediluvian or anything, but when you're driving around your company's Ford Astrovan for $12 an hour, you don't exactly have the option of bluetoothing digital stations. That said, Steve Jones is the single greatest gift to radio since Rodney Bingenheimer. At least Rodney's still got a show on KROQ... even if it's only on from 12 to 3 on Monday mornings. That said, if you haven't seen Mayor of the Sunset Strip, I suggest you do so.
 
In honor of the station's passing, maybe I'll post an old entry I made about my love for Indie on the blog I started just before I moved to Chicago. That is IF I can find it.

 

 

 

No comments: