Sunday, March 29, 2009

This is the best thing to wear for today you understand.



Bougie, adj.
Anything that is perceived as "upscale" from a blue-collar point of view. 'Bougie' is a hacked truncation of the word Bourgeoisie, which refers to the middle-class in Europe, but refers to a more affluent class level in the United States. See also, "Wine-Tasting Party".


I'm fairly certain I earned my bougie ribbon this weekend when I attended a wine-tasting party complete with a blackout in honor of Earth Hour. The guest list was comprised mainly of couples and although I was part of the youngest couple - and was the second-to-youngest person at the party - I'm happy to say I was not made to feel like a babe lost in the woods. In fact, I'm fairly certain I hit it off quite nicely with a few of the attendees - the wives, naturally, but I did have a rousing conversation with the hostess's husband about breeding show dogs from 25 year-old sperm - and once the drinks got to flowing, well, let's just say that the majority of attendees now know that I'm having my ganglion cyst drained on Tuesday.

So now I sit here high off of having spent the weekend spent with a wonderful man and attending a great party where some fantastic Argentinian wine was being served... and I wonder whether or not I should throw the Grey Gardens-themed party I've been mulling over for the past few weeks. My though process is as follows:

A. Jessica Lange and Drew Barrymore playing the Beales merits a celebration.
B. I want to actually watch the movie.
C. I love my friends.
D. I love theme parties.
E. I will cut anyone who gets too loud during the telecast.

At this point I'm thinking I should just throw a Beales-themed party wherein everyone has to come as their favorite character. Boys certainly don't have too many options other than the cheesy neighbor-gardener-boy or a Maysles:



Then again, I think I'd be much more comfortable as Little Edie:



If the party does happen I think I need to have a signature drink in honor of the Beales. Not wine, but perhaps something made in a bathtub? Oh yes... the drink for today is definitely made in a bathtub.

1 comment:

lkbom said...

E. I will cut anyone who gets too loud during the telecast.

Rebecca doesn't read your blog, John.