Friday, May 15, 2009

Television Accent



I, apparently, only have one reason to blog these days and that involves throwing parties. Not that there's anything wrong with that, it's just that the last time I threw one was a month ago (see: Grey Gardens Premiere Party) and I don't have the resources or the time to be inviting everyone over for crudités and cheap wine once a week. Not that I wouldn't love to, you know.

So for those of you who read this to stay abreast of what I've been up to -- all five of you residing in California, Louisiana and New York -- I'll say that this has been a month of personal triumphs, peppered with bits frustration here and there, but what month isn't like that? I'm finally fulfilling my Chicago-goal of taking advantage of the lake by running up and down it's shores, blisters and ganglion cyst willing, three times a week, however, the real excitement is at the workplace where I've become the official/un-official voice of my job. I was volunteered a couple of months ago to record our on hold message which I was not at all excited about, but since no one else was willing, and being the administrative bitch good sport that I am, I did it.

Cut to a couple of weeks ago when my co-worker called me with the plea, "I NEED YOUR VOICE." I was a little shocked to say the least, and long story short, we ended up recording a podcast for our association's website. It's incredibly dry, a little technical, but if you want to listen to me regurgitate medical jargon, feel free to give it a listen. I'd post a link here, but then google would probably end up permanently linking this site to my work's site in searches, and that is not okay.

It's nice to know though that the insecurity about my voice I've harbored for the last 27 years has maybe been all in my head. Or as Andrew put it: "You've got a television accent!"

And THAT, as they say, is because I grew up in Holly-wood.

No comments: