Sunday, February 10, 2008

Tombé Amoureux: Kitsuné


"If I had the money to go to a record store I would... I... I... would."

My latest obsession has manifested itself in the form of French fashion label cum boutique cum record label cum record store, Kitsuné. I've yet to own any of their apparel but it's right up my alley despite being squarely out of my price range. Think Fred Perry by way of Paris, or Modern Amusement minus all the crazy:



Well...



maybe a little crazy.

The new Kitsuné Paris store is opening in March and I'm trying to figure out which is the best way to bribe Jason into taking the Chunnel over to France, transfering to the TGV, finding Kitsuné, and then buying me a full suitcase-worth of clothes and CDs when he visits Jess in London this Spring. I don't think it's too much to ask, but others seem to disagree.

This wouldn't be so much of an issue if Kitsuné was more accessible in the US. Right now itunes carries a handful of Kitsuné artists and compilations, but the Kitsuné website only ships to Europe. Not to mention the incredibly weak dollar makes ordering anything overseas next to impossible... sadness.

Luckily, some of Kitsuné's best artists are currently available stateside like:


The Teenagers


Yelle


Simian Mobile Disco


Bitchee Bitchee Ya Ya Ya
Download: "F**k Friend - (Yuksek & Brodinski Remix)"

Kitsuné deals heavily (read: almost exclusively) in electronic music which can be slightly at odds with their preppier than thou wares, but I don't really have a problem with it. I like my syncopation fast, my beats thumping, and my clothes just short of staid. Go figure... je t'aime Kitsuné.

Now some videos for your viewing pleasure:

Yelle - "A Cause Des Garçons"


The Teenagers - "Homecoming"


Simian Mobile Disco - "Hustler"*


*DON'T watch this one on a full stomach.

No comments: